Since i.b.mee.’s main mission is to set the standard and bring to life a healthy and empowering educational system so all students are W.E.L.L., our founder, Dr. Meg Hanshaw, has sought out practices and tools that truly support young people in having their best chance of reaching their full potential. The WAVE Process® is one of those practices. Meg is a certified WAVE Trainer and has been piloting and benchmarking this trauma-informed coaching and communication method in the schools since 2011 with extremely effective results.
The WAVE Process® is a 4-step research-based coaching and communication method that is the blueprint for moving through emotional triggers and mastering CONNECTION.
- It gives the parents, teachers, administrators and students the ability to become aware of, interrupt, and intimately get to know their own emotional triggers and their patterns that keeps them from (1) building trusting, stable and supportive relationships and (2) creating learning environments that are healthy and empowering.
- It allows adults to respond to behaviorally or emotionally challenged students (and adults) in a confident, calm, authentic way, setting clear boundaries, moving towards win-win agreements, that ultimately diffuse conflict and power struggles.
- It helps brings both the child and teacher/parent into the present moment allowing them to move forward in alignment with their empowering values.
- It allows children and teachers/parents to decrease the effects of trauma and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) by increasing resilience so they can create higher solutions and take empowered action towards their highest and healthiest goals.
- Its creator is Kim Griffith. Meg met her in 2011 and when Kim introduced her to the WAVE Process®, Meg knew that it would be a foundational skill of her W.E.L.L. Kids NOW® System.
- Watch Brene Brown’s talk to teachers in 2017 in Texas. She emphasizes that teachers are going to be the pathway to the revolution for school change in their own classroom. We also believe that. She believes that increasing connection (acceptance and validation OR Empathy) is the antidote for shame and we that all have shame. The WAVE Process® increases connection and “allows” shame to be seen in a safe way and there for allows students to be themselves.
Teachers and Parents: Young People:
Overall, The WAVE Process® supports young people and the adults who parent and work with them in building healthy relationships, making clearer decisions, communicating effectively, and experiencing true well-being and success!
Teachers and Parents: